With a unique history and unmatched expertise, UMUC is one of the top military- and veteran-trusted schools in the country.
Experience counts: University of Maryland University College began helping military servicemembers advance their careers in 1947, and we established our first classrooms for deployed troops in Germany in 1949.
Today, more than more than 50,000 military servicemembers, veterans, and military family members attend UMUC, and we're on the ground in 140+ worldwide locations.
Whether you're a military servicemember, a veteran, a spouse, or a family member, you can rely on UMUC to stand by your side as you pursue your degree. We understand the work you'll put in and the sacrifices you'll make. We also know the steps you need to take to achieve your educational goals.
UMUC's Military-Trusted Awards
- No. 1 Best Online and Non-traditional Universities for Military Personnel and Veterans | Military Times | 2018
- Top Colleges and Universities | Military Advanced Education & Transition | 2018
- No. 5 in the United States | UMUC Cybersecurity Programs | Military Times | 2017
- Best of the Best: Top Veteran-Friendly Schools | U.S. Veterans Magazine | 2016
- Top Public University for Veterans in 2017 | Military Times | 2016
- Top Colleges and Universities | Military Advanced Education & Transition | 2016
- No. 4 Best for Vets in Nontraditional Universities Category | Military Times | 2016
- No. 1 Best for Vets in Nontraditional Universities Category | Military Times | 2015
- Best of the Best: Top Veteran-Friendly Schools | U.S. Veterans Magazine | 2015
- Educator of the Year | World Affairs Council | 2015
- Institution Award | Council of College and Military Educators | 2011
UMUC's Military-Trusted Affiliations
Yellow Ribbon Participant
UMUC proudly participates in the Post-9/11 GI Bill®1 Yellow Ribbon Program. This means we've made a commitment to student veterans and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to help you avoid out-of-pocket tuition and fees that may exceed your Post-9/11 GI Bill tuition benefit.
VetSuccess on Campus
UMUC takes part in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs' Principles of Excellence program. The VA has also selected UMUC to participate in VetSuccess on Campus. The program provides veteran students with a full-time VA counselor. The counselor will help ease your transition to civilian life by supporting you and giving you guidance on VA benefits and services.
Got Your Six Pledge
UMUC has signed the Got Your 6 pledge. Got Your 6 bridges the civilian-military divide by creating a new conversation in America so veterans and military families are recognized as leaders and civic assets.
Council of College and Military Educators
UMUC is proud to be a member of the Council of College and Military Educators, an organization that facilitates the exchange of information on educational programs, strategies, and innovation in the military education community through its programs and services.
1 GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.
Learn about UMUC's long-standing history of educating military servicemembers.