Undergraduate Admissions


Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, American employees of the U.S. government, and their family members located in a contract country may enroll in undergraduate courses through University of Maryland University College Europe if they meet admission requirements. U.S. military policy requires a valid identification privilege card issued by the military services. Card validation is required after completing the online application. All eligibility questions should be directed to studentservices-europe@umuc.edu staff at the UMUC Europe Headquarters.

Orientation and Getting Started

Local UMUC representatives and academic advisors stand ready in military communities to provide you with on-site assistance with admissions, registration, financial aid, advising appointments, and more.

Before the beginning of each session, UMUC holds special online webinars and on-site orientations for new and prospective students. At these events, you have the opportunity to learn about UMUC and its programs, student services, academic and career options, and meet faculty members and fellow students. When you participate in these special events, you may have your application fee waived.

Admission Requirements

UMUC's admission requirements were designed to meet the needs of adult, part-time students. If you have a high school diploma from a regionally accredited or state-approved high school in the United States—or the equivalent—you can be admitted and register for undergraduate classes. Test scores are not required for admission. However, special admission requirements may apply if you were educated abroad or are pursuing certain degree programs. You must have been officially admitted to the university before you can enroll for classes. See UMUC policy 210.00 on Undergraduate Admission.


All eligible active duty, National Guard, and Army Reserve students must complete the Common Application online in the GoArmyEd portal.

Procedures for Admission

To apply for admission, you must complete an undergraduate admission application and pay the nonrefundable admission fee. Applicants who intentionally provide false information on their application are subject to disciplinary action, as detailed in UMUC policy 151.00 Code of Student Conduct. Applications for admission may be submitted online through MyUMUC. Military ID card validation at your nearest UMUC location is required after completing the online application.

If you have earned fewer than 24 semester hours of transferable college credit, you must submit official documentation verifying that you have earned a U.S. high school degree (or its equivalent).

If you have earned 24 or more semester hours of transferable college credit, you must have official transcripts from the institutions you attended sent to UMUC.

In either case, such documentation must be received within two terms. If it is not, you will not be permitted to register for subsequent terms until documentation is received and accepted for admission purposes.

Student Status

Upon being admitted to UMUC, you are assigned to regular, provisional, or consortium status.


A qualified applicant who wants to receive credit for courses (whether intending to receive a degree or not) is admitted as a regular student. Admission as a regular student is granted to U.S. educated applicants who fulfill one of the following academic requirements:

  • Graduation from a state-approved or regionally accredited high school
  • Graduation from a DoDEA overseas high school (indicate as a U.S. high school on eApplication)
  • Passing scores on a state high school equivalency exam such as the GED
  • Graduation from a homeschooling or alternative high school program approved by the UMUC Admissions Office (additional admissions documentation may be required)
  • Graduation from an international high school with a credential evaluated as equivalent to a U.S. high school degree by an approved international credentials evaluation agency

An academic probation or dismissal that occurred at least two years before the date of your application for admission has no bearing on your admissions status.

You must submit all official documents of your educational background to UMUC by the end of your second term once you've applied and before your request for an official evaluation. If you provide official transcripts showing at least 24 credits of transferable college credit, you will not be required to submit an official high school transcript or GED scores.

If you qualify for admission and want to audit or receive credit for courses (whether you intend to earn a degree or not), you are admitted as a regular student. (For financial aid purposes, you must be seeking a degree or certificate at UMUC to be a regular student.) To be admitted as a regular student, you must submit a completed, signed application; pay the nonrefundable admission fee; and certify that you fulfill one of the following academic requirements:

  • Have graduated from a regionally accredited or state-approved high school in the United States.
  • Have graduated from a DoDEA overseas high school (indicate as a U.S. high school on eApplication).
  • Have passed a high school equivalency exam.

The most commonly accepted high school equivalency exam is the General Education Development (GED) test. Passing scores depend on when the test was taken.

  • Before January 2002, a total score of 225 and a minimum score of 40 on each section
  • From January 2002 to January 2014, a total score of 2250 and a minimum score of 410 on each section
  • After January 2014, a total score of 600 and a minimum score of 150 on each section.

To be granted regular admission status, you should have maintained a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in all college-level work attempted at other regionally accredited colleges and universities, including other University System of Maryland institutions. An academic probation or dismissal that occurred at least two years before the date you apply for admission has no bearing on your admission status.

If you were educated outside of the U.S., information on how you may attain regular status follows in the Foreign-Educated Students section.


You may be admitted in provisional status if

  • You earned a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) within the last two years at the last institution you attended.
  • You were academically dismissed within the last two years from the last institution you attended (regardless of your cumulative grade point average).

If you fall into one of these categories, you must wait until at least one term has passed since you last attended any institution before you apply for admission.

As a provisional student, you may enroll for a maximum of 7 credits per term (fall: August-December; spring: January-May; summer: June-July).

To remain eligible to register, you must submit transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended during your first session of enrollment at UMUC. Otherwise you will not be permitted to register again.

After you have successfully completed 7 credits of graded coursework with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher, you may request a change to regular status. Your status is not changed automatically.


Colleges and universities serving the military overseas work together as a consortium. If you are seeking a certificate or degree with a consortium institution, you can enroll in a limited number of courses with other consortium institutions without paying an additional application fee. These courses must be (a) needed for you to complete your certificate or degree requirements and (b) unavailable from the institution at which you are seeking to earn your certificate or degree.

Note: UMUC Asia and UMUC Europe extend consortium status to Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) students and to students with a Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges Student Agreement from a SOC college or university.

If you are a consortium student, you must submit an Application Fee Waiver Request at your local UMUC office when applying in order to have your application fee waived. As a visiting student, you are not required to submit your high school transcripts.


Army SOC students must follow the instructions in the GoArmyEd portal.

If you request an official evaluation from UMUC, you thereby indicate your interest in earning a certificate or degree with UMUC and will be required to pay the UMUC application fee. Your student status will then be changed from visiting to regular.

Applicants Previously Suspended or Dismissed

An academic probation or dismissal from another institution that took place at least two years before the date when you apply for admission has no bearing on your admission status. However, if you were previously dismissed from UMUC, you must apply for reinstatement.

If you were academically suspended or dismissed from another institution within the previous two years, regardless of your cumulative grade point average, you may be admitted as a provisional student. You must fulfill the requirements for provisional status.

However, if you received a disciplinary suspension or dismissal from another institution within the last three years, you may not be considered for admission to UMUC until the director of Admissions has thoroughly reviewed the case. You must make certain that the institution where the action was taken sends all records explaining the circumstances directly to Undergraduate Admissions. Because of how long it takes for the documents to be sent and reviewed, you may not be able to register during the session when you first apply.

High School Students - Concurrent Secondary Enrollment

Based on the recommendation of a high school guidance counselor, UMUC accepts academically gifted high school juniors and seniors for admission in provisional status. If you are still in high school and can demonstrate a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.5 (B+) in your high school academic subjects, you may qualify. At least a month before a session begins, UMUC must receive your application for admission, the application fee, official high school transcripts, and written permission from the appropriate officials at the high school. After being accepted, you may register as a “concurrent secondary” student and carry a maximum of 7 credits per term at UMUC while you finish work toward your high school diploma. For additional information, you should contact the studentservices-europe@umuc.edu.

Relocating from UMUC Asia, Europe, or Stateside

Relocating to Asia, Europe, or Stateside with UMUC is simple. It is important for you to notify UMUC when you relocate to a new duty station so residency and tuition may be accurately determined. If you attended classes with UMUC within the last two years, you must complete a relocation request online or by visiting your local UMUC office. There is no fee for relocations.


If you have not attended UMUC for two years or more, you must submit a new application before you will be allowed to register. However, you need not pay another application fee. You may be subject to all degree requirements in effect at the time of your readmission to the university. You may reapply by selecting "Apply Online" at MyUMUC.

Admission of College Graduates

If you received a bachelor's degree from an approved U.S. institution, you are automatically admissible to UMUC as a regular (undergraduate) student upon submission of the admission application and fee. You may also be admitted as a regular (undergraduate) student if you are a former graduate student in the University System of Maryland whose time limit in a program has expired. If you have been admitted to UMUC as a graduate student, you may take undergraduate courses only when satisfying certain prerequisites. You may be admitted as either undergraduate or graduate but may not be admitted in both categories at the same time.

Foreign-Educated Students

Prospective students educated outside of the United States will need to provide documentation of both English proficiency and the equivalency of a U.S. secondary education. If you were educated outside of the U.S., you will need to complete the following steps.

  1. U.S. High School Equivalency

    If you have earned fewer than 24 credits at a U.S. college or university, you must verify completion of the equivalent of a U.S. secondary education by

  2. English Language Proficiency

    If you were not educated in an English-speaking country (listed below), you must demonstrate college-level proficiency in written English before enrolling at UMUC by one of the following:

    • Graduation from a U.S. high school or regionally accredited university
    • A grade of C or higher in an English composition course from an approved U.S. college or university
    • A minimum score of 550 on a written version or 79 on the Internet version of the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
    • A minimum score of 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), including the academic writing and reading modules
    • A minimum score of Grade Pre-1 on the EIKEN Test in practical English proficiency

    You must arrange to have official score reports sent directly from the testing agency to Undergraduate Admissions. All scores (TOEFL, IELTS, EIKEN) must be no more than two years old. Your documentation must be verified before you will be permitted to enroll.

All documentation should be sent to

Mailing Address

Attn: Undergraduate Transcripts
University of Maryland University College
3501 University Boulevard East
Adelphi, MD 20783-8070

English-speaking countries

  • Anguilla
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Bermuda
  • Botswana
  • British Virgin Islands
  • Cameroon
  • Canada (except Quebec)
  • Cayman Islands
  • Dominica
  • Falkland Islands
  • Fiji
  • Gambia
  • Ghana
  • Gibraltar
  • Grenada
  • Guam
  • Guyana
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • Kenya
  • Lesotho
  • Liberia
  • Malawi
  • Malta
  • Mauritius
  • Micronesia
  • Namibia
  • New Zealand
  • Nigeria
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Philippines
  • Puerto Rico
  • Seychelles
  • Sierra Leone
  • Singapore
  • South Africa
  • St. Catalina
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • St. Lucia
  • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Swaziland
  • Tanzania
  • Tonga
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Turks and Caicos Islands
  • Uganda
  • United Kingdom (Scotland, England, Wales)
  • Zambia
  • Zimbabwe

Homeschooled Students

UMUC welcomes homeschooled applicants. All homeschooled students must demonstrate compliance with state and local education regulations. For Maryland students, the home instruction program must comply with the General Regulations of Maryland’s State Board of Education (13A.10.01). In addition to a completed application for admission, please submit the following required documents:

  • Transcript, which includes grades, cumulative GPA, and date degree awarded
  • Brief outline describing course content and instructional materials
  • Information on the homeschooling regulations of the state where you were educated

The optional documents (listed below) can be submitted in addition to the above required documents to assist in the admissions decision.

Optional admission documents:

  • Any nationally standardized tests scores available (e.g. SAT or ACT scores)
  • Letters of recommendation (professional and/or academic)

Please send these documents to aeadmissions@umuc.edu with the subject line of Homeschooled Applicant.

Note: If the admissions department deems that the requirement above is not met, acceptable GED scores may be requested for admission purposes.